New Certificate needed for Tenerife Property owners

The New Energy Efficiency Certificate needed when selling your property is in operation in Tenerife from the 1st of June 2013.

When selling or long term renting your property in Tenerife you will need to obtain an Energy efficiency certificate (Certificado de eficiencia energetica).

The EPC contains:

  • Information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs.
  • Recommendations as to how you may be able to reduce energy use and save money.

An EPC allocates to a property an Energy Efficiency Rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and it is valid for 10 years. It is thought that most of the properties located in the south of Tenerife will be to the lower end of the scale, as they are being compared against properties all over Spain and some are constructed, finished and furnished for much colder climate/conditions.

How to get an EPC:

If you are selling or renting out your property, you will need to find an accredited Assessor who will assess your property and produce the Certificate. The assessor will need to visit your property to take the relative information i.e. checking white goods (energy consumption), windows, doors, walls, amongst other things.....If you hold a set of the original architect's plans for your property, you may be able to save on the cost of a new EPC.


This is just a guide and each company’s prices will differ slightly.

Price per EPC as follows;

Properties up to 70sqm €130

Properties between 70sqm – 120sqm €175

Properties between 120sqm – 250sqm €225

Properties above 250sqm €321.00

Prices may differ slightly from company to company.

How long is the Certificate Valid for?

Currently the energy certificate is valid for 10 years.

Will I be able to sell my home in Tenerife without a certificate after 1st June 2013?

No you will not. You will be legally required to have a certificate before advertising your house for sale or selling your home. This must be included in any advertising and also must be presented to the Notary upon completion of a sale. A certificate must be available for inspection to any potential buyers, tenants and to the Notary.

Who pays for the energy certificate?

The owner of the property for sale or rental.

What if I am selling my home and it shows a poor energy rating, such as E, F or G, am I legally required to make any improvements?

No, you are not required to make any home improvements whatsoever even if your property has a poor rating.

What about landlords of Tenerife properties?

If you are already renting out your property to a tenant then you do not need to have an EPC, however if you change tenants you will need to ensure that you obtain one.

What happens if I don't get a Certificate?

If you fail to get an EPC when renting/selling you could be heavily fined by the government.

Contact us to request a Free Quotation to provide a Certificate